Applications for the 2018-2019 auditions are open. While each district may have a calendar deadline for receiving and accepting applications, availability is limited. We recommend submitting your application at your earliest convenience. Below are some of the eligibility guidelines for the National Council Auditions. For a full listing, please visit the Met's website. (para los requisitos de elegibilidad en español, clic aquí)
1) Applicants must be within 20 to 30 years for all voice types from August 1, 2018 through July 31, 2019. For the 2018-2019 season, your birth date must fall on or between August 1 988 and August 1, 1998.
2) Past auditioners (except those who have exceeded the age limit, reached the Grand Finals Concert, or twice reached the National Semi-Finals) may re-enter District auditions as new applicants. Singers may enter a District audition only once per season. Former first place Region winners who have twice won first place Region awards are no longer eligible to compete.
3) Citizens of countries other than the United States (U.S.), Mexico, and Canada must show proof of residency for the audition season, or proof of full-time enrollment in a university or conservatory in the U.S., Mexico, or Canada before being permitted to enter a District audition. We are required by Federal and New York State laws to withhold a total of 35% of prize money awarded to non-U.S. citizens.
4) Applicants may enter any one District audition regardless of whether they are a resident of the area. All District winners must participate in the Region Finals of the Region in which they were District winners.
5) To be eligible to enter the auditions, you must be available EXCLUSIVELY to the Metropolitan Opera National Council for the following:
a.) your respective District and Region audition dates
b.) arrival in New York, NY on Thursday, March 21, 2019 through the National Semi-Finals on Sunday, March 24, 2019
c.) preparation for the National Grand Finals Concert from Monday, March 25, 2019 through Sunday, March 31, 2019
Once your online application is submitted, please visit your district page for instruction on how to submit your $30 application fee.
Additional information can be found on the Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions website